Wembley Win For City Means A League One Return

Last updated : 28 May 2018 By Kev Monks at Wembley
Coventry City 3-1 Exeter City EFL LEAGUE TWO PLAY-OFF FINAL
City: Burge, Willis, Hyam, Stokes, Grimmer, Bayliss, Shipley (Reid 72), Doyle, Kelly, Biamou (Clarke-Harris 49), McNulty (Ponticelli 82): O'Brien, Thompson. McDonald. McGuire-Drew, Reid, 
Exeter City:' Pym, Sweeney, Woodman (James 62, Tillson, Harley, Stockley, Moore-Taylor, Moxey (Jay 62) Taylor, Storey, Boateng (Edwards 72)!. Subs:  Jones, James, Archibald-Henville, Simpson, Jay, Wilson, Edwards 
ATT 50, 196
Goals Jordan Willis 48, Jordan Shipley 54,, Jack Grimmer 68, Kyle Edwards 88
Coventry City will be playing League One football next season after beating Exeter City 3-1. 
Down to a final game to keep the dream alive of getting out of League Two at the first opportunity and it was off to Wembley Stadium for a League Two Play-Off Final against Exeter City.
The combined total of 96 matches that the two sides have played in League and Play-Off Semi-Finals count for nothing and it is down to ninety minutes of football with the possibility of extra time and penalties to decide who will take the final promotion place into League One.
For Coventry City, getting promoted at the first opportunity is vital. City supporters are all too aware of what happens if the Sky Blues don't make an instant return to the division they were relegated from and with established Football League clubs like Chesterfield, Leyton Orient and Hartlepool having dropped out of the league entirely, staying in League Two is not a prospect that many City supporters will relish and there was a nervous tension amongst the 37,000 City supporters who had flown in from all parts of the world.
There was Coventry City supporters everywhere,  whilst Exeter supporters were something of a lesser spotted species.
Not surprisingly, after that storming performance against Notts County, Mark Robins named an unchanged team.
Pat Raybould brought out the trophy and after the national anthem was belted out by the City suppor, the Sky Blues took to the field in a sky blue and white striped kit - similar to the one Dennis Wise and co used to wear.
City kicked off and won a corner in the opening thirty seconds. That was cleared and Kelly fired at Pym.
McNulty volleyed wide  as City continued to have the better of the opening exchanges.
Applause for the late great Cyrille Regis rang out as did a chorus of the Sky Bl Song along with with the song of the season "1,2,3,4" .
Pym had another easy save to make before City attacking the East End where the Exeter fans were won a 20th minute corner and throw in an open roofed stadium which had the floodlights on. 
Stokes took a knock in the face which delayed a game that restarted without the left back who was getting patched up.
Hyam had to concede a 28th minute corner but Burge grabbed for a City side that had Stokes back in the action.
City's inter play was good and they were getting shots in. They just needed to stick the ball in the back of the net, in a half of half-chances.
The feeling amongst the City support was that things were cagey and this was going to be a one goal game.
Two minutes in and a Bayliss cross found McNulty for a flick which Pym had to punch away.
That led to a corner. It came over and ended up back to Michael Doyle who found Jordan Willis drilled a lovely low curling shot in to the net from the edge of the area and give the Sky Blues a 48th minute lead.
There were flares and City supporters going ballistic all over the place.
Jonson Clarke-Harris came on for Max Biamou and in the 54th minute, there were more wonderful scenes as the ball came on the left to Jordan Shipley and his shot hit Woodman but flew in to the net.
More flares and barmy scenes in the away end celebrated the goal from Leamington's finest.
Exeter had one chance cleared and a 59th minute corner followed by another.
Shipley ran and hit a shot which Pym somehow pushed away for a corner.
Paul Tisdale went for a double change but it was to little effect as Jack Grimmer got in a great position in the 68th minute and hit a stunning shot which flew in to the net, sparking more scenes of derlerium.
Jordan Shipley went off to a 72nd minute standing ovation and was replaced by Kyel Reid.
Exeter won a 75th minute corner but City cleared that away, playing some good passing football which was being cheered at every opportunity.
Bayliss had a shot beaten away by Pym and Burge watched as Exeter hit the post before Marc McNulty went off with Jordan Ponticelli coming on for the last eight minutes to applause from most of the 50,196 crowd which was thinning out rapidly in the away end.
Those who left missed a good finish from Kyle Edwards for a consolation goal in the 88th minute and pressure from the Grecians in stoppage time.
However, three memorable goals had done it and Coventry City were back in League One at the first time of asking.