More City Misery At Millwall

Last updated : 02 November 2011 By Cns Sport


Tue 1st Nov at the New Den, Millwall 

City Murphy,  Keogh, McPake, Cameron, Wood, Baker (Thomas 88),  Clingan, Deegan (Platt 70), McSheffrey (Bell 82), Jutkiewicz. SNU Dunn, Christie.

Millwall Forde, Dunne, Robinson, Smith, Ward, Abdou, Trotter, Howard (Henry 46), Feeney, Henderson (N'Guessan 86), Simpson (Mkwandwire 76). SNU Mildenhall, McQuoid  

HT MFC 0-0 CCFC  FT  MFC 3-0 CCFC ATT 9,517

Referee D. Phillips Assts G.Norwood & A. Crysell Booked None

Goals Darius Henderson (51 & 68), Liam Feeney (81)

Man Of The Match - The City fans for singing all the way through the game.



386 Supporters from as far away as Denmark and Northern Ireland, as well a good number from southerly places such as London, Brighton, Aylesbury, Cambridgeshire and Kent. Noisy through out and they kept singing right from the first whsitle until the final whistle.

Gary Hoffman and Joe Elliott joined those on the one club coach on the way back.


DIRECTOR WATCH Only one City director in Tim Fisher.



Andy Thorn made three changes from the team that had drawn at Doncaster. Cyrus Christie and Conor Thomas were benched and replaced by Richard Wood and Gary Deegan with James McPake coming in for the injured Chris Hussey.


Coventry City put in a shocking second half performance and were soundly beaten 3-0 at Millwall.

City, wearing Sky Blue, attacked the Cold Blow Lane end for the first half and although they passed the ball round well, yet again there was little productivity up front.

As with the Doncaster game, City's midfield were the ones who looked the mostly likely to score. Carl Baker had a great chance in the 14th minute when he got in a low shot which Forde smothered before the loose ball was sent into the side netting.

Clingan had a shot deflected and in the 27th minute, Gary McSheffrey got through but was bundled off the ball and Forde was able to deal with his effort.

In the 33rd minute, McSheffrey delivered a great ball ihto the mixer and somehow, Cody McDonald sent the ball over the bar.

Millwall, who have City legend Richard Shaw as a coach, had been playing the patient game and ensuring that the reliable Nathan Cameron had a number of interventions to make.

They went up the other end and it was only a superb clearance from Keogh kept a cross from the dangerous Trotter off the goal-line.

McSheffrey sent a cross from the left on to the bar as City went into the break with the City support thinking they could get something from this match.

The Millwall players must have been told the same thing as they came out with Henry on for Howard, fired up.

They had the better of the opening exchanges and seven minutes in, Darius Henderson got the ball and with the defence all over the place, was able to slip the ball past Murphy and into the net.

The City support who gave the team some excellent backing, whilst making their objections to the way the club is being run known, continued to sing apart from when two shoves on McSheffrey failed to bring any penalties from the referee, who did an excellent job without having to resort to dishing out cards.

In the 68th minute, Darius Henderson was on the scoresheet again when he got the ball on the right and sent a low drive across Murphy into the bottom corner of the net.

When Gary McSheffrey sent a close range shot following a good cross from McDonald wide, you knew it was not City's night.

Clive Platt was sent on but failed to change the game and in the 81st minute, many of the City support were heeding the advice of the fans in the Dockers Stand to our left, and making for the exits when Liam Feeney made the most of Carl Baker being dispossessed too easily and he slipped the ball past Murphy to score and further punish the Sky Blues.

Conor Thomas came on late on but City''s record of never having won at the New Den, continued.