Late Chaplin Goal Means No Black Friday For City

Last updated : 23 November 2018 By CNS Sport

Coventry City 1-1 Peterborough United 

City Burge, Willis, Grimmer, Brown, Hyam,  Doyle, Thomas, Hiwula (Jones 72, Bakayoko 79), Bayliss, Clarke-Harris, Chaplin. Subs: Addai, Mason, Davies, Kelly, Jones, Ogogo, Bakayoko. 

Peterborough: Chapman, Naismith, Woodward, Tafazolli, Godden, Ward (Cummings 80), O'Hara, Bennett, Toney. Maddison (Dembele 70), Denton. Subs: Tyler, Bassong, Reed, Walker, Cooper. 

Att 11,719 (1,315 Peterborough) 

Goals: Ivan Toney 89, Conor Chaplin 91 

Coventry City came back to snatch a 1-1 draw against Peterborough United. 

A Friday night on a cold, damp November night saw the Sky Blues taking on Peterborough United at the Ricoh Arena, not having won in their last four league and cup matches. 

Mark Robins named a side which was unchanged from the defeat at Burton for a game in which there was a bigger than normal gate for the visit of a Peterborough side managed by the obnoxious Steve Evans.

The game started off lively with a City corner and a great tackle from Jack Grimmer whilst the paramedics were very quick to treat a long standing supporter who had fallen up the steps.

Thomas won a corner in the 8th minute which was over-hit and saw City having to back before Doyle could take them forward.

Bayliss fired high and wide before Maddison fired at Burge and Hiwula drove wide before two Doyle free kicks came to nothing.

Evans and his side kick continued to appeal every decision, haranguing the red shirted assistant and the fourth official.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, grass and outdoor

Chapman grabbed a flick from a 26th minute corner in a half which saw a third yellow ball introduced and one quip from the crowd that there was only rugger balls left!

On the half hour mark, Burge blocked from Godden and Hiwula drove wide from a good move.

Chaplin did well to win a 38th minute corner which failed to beat the first man.

A Lee Burge clearance was caught by Chapman at the other end and led to a Maddison shot.

Burge used his legs to block and conceded a 41st minute corner and had to come out to help Luke Thomas clear.

Chaplin was booked for allegedly kicking out, according to his gesture to his team mates, who looked as equally bewildered as the City support in the main stand.

Luke Thomas was unlucky not to have given City the lead in the 47th minute when he got through and shot wide of Chapman's left hand post.

Chaplin and Junior Brown combined to win a 53rd minute corner but all they got from it was a free kick to the visitors.

Clarke-Harris then fired wide in a game where there was good noise from both sets of supporters, with the City support booing the referee for not giving a 58th minute penalty for a shove on Luke Thomas, who ran really well.

Bayliss chipped at Chapman from a Doyle corner which was followed by another in the 62nd minute.

A massive chorus of the Sky Blue Song roared round the ground and was promptly halted by a massive cheer when the referee had enough of Evans’ antics and booked him, to huge cheers.

Peterborough had a couple of efforts which did not threaten Lee Burge's goal.

Toney headed wide before Mark Robins made his first change of the evening sending on Jodi Jones for Jordy Hiwula, who again lacked ideas.

Jones had only been on the pitch for a few seconds when he went down holding his right leg, keeping City's physio busy after she had just treated Luke Thomas.

Jones was limping but came back on for City who had Bayliss driving forwards.

Mark O'Hara headed wide before Jones went down again and had to be replaced by Amadou Bakayoko.

A Grimmer shot won City an 85th minute corner which was hacked away by Cummings.

With a minute of normal time left. Peterborough attacked down the right and Ivan Toney smashed the ball past Burge.

Evans and co went wild buyt the smile was promptly wiped off their faces when Bakayoko played in Conor Chaplin and he slotted home from six yards out, sparking wild scenes amongst the City support.

Peterborough won two corners in the five minutes of stoppage time but a draw it was.