Coventry City Stop Barnsley's Unbeaten Run

Last updated : 15 September 2018 By CNS Sport\KM
Coventry City 1-0 Barnsley 
City:  Burge,. Willis, Hyam. Brown, Sterling, Shipley (Kelly 68), Bayliss, Doyle, Chaplin, Thomas (Bakayoko 88). Clarke-Harris, Subs: O'Brien, Davies, Hiwula,  Andreu, Thompson. 
Barnsley: Davies, Cavare, Pinnock, Lindsay (McGeehan 83), Pinnolos, Dougal, Bahre (Moncur 64),Mowatt, Thiam, Moore, Brown (Adeboyejo 72),. Subs: Walton, Bird, Jackson, Williams.
Att 11,465 (1,800 Barnsley)
Goal: Jordan Willis 79
Sometimes, effort and persistence pays off and Coventry City got their game plan right and beat a high flying Barnsley side 1-0.
Coventry City took on a Barnsley side which was unbeaten this season but one which had not won in Coventry in 95 years and for this game at the Ricoh Arena, Mark Robins named a pretty much expected side.
Barnsley came out at City early winning a corner but in the seventh minute, Conor Chaplin should have fired City ahead when he drove wide from inside the area.
Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport, stadium and outdoor
Luke Thomas was next to try his luck for the Sky Blues, getting in a shot which Davies pushed round for a corner.
A neat back heel from Thomas found Sterling but his 14th minute effort lacked enough to trouble the visiting keeper in front of his own supporters who had travelled in bigger numbers than in some of their previous visits.
Barnsley really should have been ahead in the 17th minute when Jacob Brown raced through but he was thwarted by a great save from Burge to push the ball round his left hand post for a corner.
Jacob Brown missed from twelve yards in the 21st minute following the referee not picking up on a foul on Jonson Clarke-Harris and Moore and Cavare drove wide, before the half hour mark.
With no call, Sterling conceded a 31st minute corner that Burge had to grab from a Cavare shot.
Shipley fired over for City who are still to score in the first half of a game this season.
There were no changes at half-time and the half started with Chaplin snatching at a shot and sending it wide.
Burge pushed over a Brown shot for a corner. Not that it was a problem as Barnsley's corners were awful.
City against a Barnsley side which was looking like all they had to was turn up to win, had the ball in the net through Chaplin in the 51st minute.
However, Joe Simpson had his flag up and the goal was ruled out and Simpson then left to be replaced by the Fourth Official.
Brown flashed a shot over and was told by the City support that he was not very good.
Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport and outdoor
Kelly replaced Shipley and Barnsley made changes as the game went on with Lindsay booked and Clarke-Harris firing wide in the 74th minute.
Moncur had two chances and then in the 79th minute. The ball came over in a crowded goal mouth and Jordan Willis bundled in.
Both sides had chances in a game which again highlighted the weakness of City in front of goal and the quality of City's defending with the ever improving Dujon Sterling having a good game and midfield.
The referee ,was at times lenient and Barnsley were lucky only to have Kenny Dougal yellow carded for a reckless challenge before Luke Thomas went off to good applause and six minutes were added on.
Barnsley had a couple of corners but City held firm and took the win to ensure that Barnsley's run of poor form in Coventry continued.