City draw with Barnsley


Westwood, Osbourne, Ward, Turner, Hall, Gunnarsson, Beuzelin (Cain 72), Doyle, Fox, Eastwood, Simpson. SNU Marshall, Wynter, Walker, Grandison

Steele, Hassell, Moore, Souza (El Haimour 72), Kozluk, Campbell-Ryce, Colace, De Silva, Hammil, Bogdanovic (Odejayi 83), Macken. SNU Andranik, Devaney, Muller

HT CCFC 0-1 BFC FT CCFC 1-1 BFC ATT 15,035
GOALS Daniel Bogdanovic (8), Elliott Ward (92)
REFEREE Steven Cook
BOOKED Simpson, Ward, Colace, De Silva
MAN OF THE MATCH Marcus Hall and Elliott Ward took the votes
It is easier for Chris Coleman to say who is available than who is not after Kevin Thornton and Scott Dann joined the increasing list of long term injuries.

Chris Coleman lost Clinton Morrison to flu and played Marcus Hall at left back with Danny Fox in midfield. Aron Gunnarsson went on the right side of midfield whilst Eastwood and Robbie Simpson started up front.

On the bench, 34 year old Andy Marshall was kept company by 17 year olds Ashley Cain, Adam Walker, Jermaine Grandison and Curtis Wynter.

Barnsley boss Simon Davey and mate of Chris Coleman fielded former Sky Blue Luke Steele in goal but left Martin Devaney on the bench.

Coventry City left it very late to snatch a 1-1 draw against Barnsley and leave The Tykes deep in the relegation mire at the Ricoh Arena tonight.

It had been a pleasant day in Coventry and there was plenty of noise amongst a sparse crowd that was officially given as 15,035 as the teams entered the pitch for this match which had become a massive game for the Tykes who had about four hundred fans in the Jewson Stand.

Despite an eight minute Sky Blue Army chant from the Telegraph Stand which included supporters from as far away as Kent, it was the away fans who had the most to sing about when their side took the lead in the eighth minute.

Daniel Bogdanovic, who has been getting the vast majority of Barnsley's goals of late, rather than Michael Mifsud who was not allowed to play in this fixture, was the man who scored. He was left alone inside the area and turned to drive a low show into the net without City keeper Keiren Westwood even diving for it.

To the horror of the Sky Blue Army, Barnsley should have been further in front in the 12th minute when Jon Macken's run and cross down the right saw the ball fall for Anderson De Silva. Thankfully, the Brazilian did not know where his feet where and the chance was lost.

It has been a long fortnight since we last cheered a City goal (Aron Gunnarsson's header at Crystal Palace) and in the 15th minute, we thought that was coming to an end when an Elliott Ward volley from the edge of the area at the Jewson Stand end was headed off the line by a defender and when the corner came in, Ward then hit the bar.

Ward was then back to make a great block to concede a corner as the relegation threatened side looked for a second goal. Another Barnsley corner conceded by Isaac Osbourne who again was reliable at right back, before Adam Hammill fired inches wide of Westwood's right had post with a lovely shot from 23 yards.

Freddie Eastwood had come in for some public criticism from his manager after missing chances at Forest on Saturday, and in the 24th minute, the former Welsh international was getting abuse from some sections of the City support after firing well wide in the 24th minute. Eastwood and Simpson were often thirty or more yards apart when it came to the ball going forwards and tonight, never gelled together.

Former City keeper, who got some good applause from the City fans, Luke Steele saved with his feet from a quiet Danny Fox before an chance from Eastwood sailed well over.

The mood was getting restless amongst the City support and there were boos for a backpass to Keiren Westwood and more boos on the half-time whistle after Campbell-Ryce and Hammil both missed chances that would have wrapped the game up for Barnsley.

City emerged late for the second half and looked clearly more up for this period than they had the first. They were keen to get things moving but much to the crowds annoyance early on, referee Mr Cook in only his second Championship game of the season insisted on bringing play back.

On the hour mark, Michael Doyle had a good chance but Robert Kozluk who was a yard off the line cleared the danger. That brought the City fans back to life and there were chants of Sky Blue Army as Eastwood fired over from 25 yards.

The City fans has been calling for Ashley Cain to be brought on and in the 72nd minute, he replaced Guilluame Beuzelin, whose passing had let him on too many occasions tonight.

The "Sky Blue Army chants" continued as Barnsley went up the other end and in the space of two minutes, Adam Hammill twice had chances to score with the second being tipped over by Keiren Westwood.

We urged City on as five minutes were added by Mr Cook, mainly due to some time wasting by Barnsley and in the second minute of added time.

Then, Freddie Eastwood got the ball inside the area and shot on the turn. It hit Robert Kozluk. The former Sheffield United man was furious and pointed to his chest as the referee was summoned by his assistant on the Tescos Stand side. Kozluk even lifted up his red shirt to show where he alleged the ball hit him but Mr Cook had made up his mind that it was a hand not his chest and award City a penalty.

Kozluk mouthed off at Elliott Ward in an attempt to put him off as Colace and Da Silva were cautioned. Ward stepped up to take the kick and duly thumped it past Steele's right hand and into the net.

The City players went mad as did the City fans, whilst the Barnsley fans stood looking in abject horror.

Michael Doyle should have snatched the winner in the final seconds but his shot went wide.

The whistle blew and all the Barnsley players bar Luke Steele who was shaking hands with the City players, surrounded the referee. Some from the Barnsley bench also came on and started having a go at the referee before the three match officials were surrounded by burly stewards.

The City players were clapped off and so was the referee at the end of a game which brought some welcome relief for City and more misery for Barnsley.