City Keep Their Checkatrade Trophy Hopes Alive

Last updated : 14 October 2018 By CNS Sport
Coventry City  1.4P2  1  Forest Green Rovers 
City: O'Brien, Mason (Camwell 55),, Hickman (Burroughs 61), Williams, Thompson, Hyam, Kelly, Ogogo, Andreu (Walters 81). Hiwula, Bakayoko. Subs: Addai's . Eccles, McCallum, Ngandu.
Forest Green Rovers : Montgomery, James (Pearce 55), Collins,  Rawson, Williams. Campbell (Grubb 75). Archibald. McGinley, Digby (Gunning 55), Worthington, Morris. Subs: Sanchez, Winchester, Brown, Ogunleye.
ATT 1,341
Goals Jordy Hiwula 2, Issac Pearce 68 
Coventry City kept their Checkatrade Trophy hopes alive with a penalties win over Forest Green 
City went into this game know that after having lost to Arsenal U21's, that only a victory would keep them in the Checkatrade Trophy which City had won in 2017.
The Sky Blues, without Jordan Shipley who was on international duty, took on a Forest Green Rovers side which was unbeaten this season over 90 minutes and one that had beaten City twice last season in League Two fixtures.
With no U23's game, this week, Mark Robins named a side which was a normal U23's side with a debut for Jak Hickman.
In front of 38 fans in the away end, City took the lead after 129 seconds when good worki from Hickman on the right saw the ball go over to Jordy Hiwula who half hit a shot which curled past Montgomery and into the net to give City the lead and City's first goal in a first half at home this season.
Forest Green for me, looked disinterested and were more than happy to close City down and use their keeper who thought he was a centre half coming out to kick balls to his back four.
There was plenty of good performances with Hickman a threat on the right and the defence and midfield looking capable thanks to Hyam and and Andreu.
In a group, where goal difference could be key, City had two good chances to increase their lead after the restart when Hiwula got through and fired wide two minutes into the second half and then Bakayoko fired into the side netting.
Chris Camwell and U18 's star Jack Burroughs came on for his City debut,
City played some good one-two's but they were frequently met by groans from the City support as the follow up shots were high and wide.
In the 68th minute, City were made to pay for not putting their chances away when Ogogo gave away a free kick and substitute Isaac Pearce headed home past O'Brien on his right.
City gave away too many silly fouls as the game wore on before Dexter Walters came on for his debut.
Maybe, City should have had a penalty and a handball by the keeper outside the area but the referee felt otherwise and penalties it was.
The South Stand was used for the penalty shoot out.  Hiwula went first and had his spot kick saved with Matt Worthington missing their first one.
Bakayoko scored and then O'Brien saved with Camwell netting to make it 2-0.  Grubb scored just, Liam Kelly scored as did Archibald. Dominic Hyam scored and City won 4-2 on pens.