City Get Away With A 2-1 Defeat

Last updated : 24 October 2012 By Kev Monks


City; Murphy; Clarke, Cameron, Wood, Reckord (Kilbane 59); Jennings, Fleck, Moussa, Hussey (Baker 46); McGoldrick, Ball (McDonald 78). Subs:- Dunn, McSheffrey, Christie, Edjenguele 

Brentford:Moore; Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Forshaw, Diagouraga (Adeyemi 87), Douglas, Forrester; Hayes (Spencer 75), Donaldson. Subs:- Lee, Legge, O'Connor, Barron, Dallas



ATT 5450

Goals David McGoldrick 6, Harry Forrester 41 & 92 pen

Referee K.Stroud

Booked Forrester,

Man Of The Match Joe Murphy took the votes in our car ahead of Richard Wood


Coventry City can count themselves lucky to have only been beaten 2-1 tonight at Brentford.

Mark Robins, again dispensed with the pre-game hotel and his side were amongst those who left Coventry at 4pm.

His side and the City support, which included support from as far away as Denmark as well as a good number of our southern based support, arrived at Griffin Park where they have not lost in October since 1929 (3 meetings) on a misty night.

Robins brought Chris Hussey into midfield in place of Carl Baker and in their first attack, City took the lead in the sixth minute with some great control by McGoldrick to see him inside the area and beat the keeper with a low shot.

On a ground, where the changing rooms are in the corner and the dug outs are on the opposite side of the pitch, City started to lose the ball allowing Brentford, who should have scored in the opening seconds through Harry Forrester, plenty of play.

Uwe Rossler's side are known for having plenty of pace and they used to win a 21st minute free kick which Murphy brilliantly palmed away for the first of three corners. 

Paul Hayes was left unmarked at the far post for the third but thankfully he fired wide when he really should have scored.

Joe Murphy made another good save in the 27th minute, when he touched a Donaldson header on the bar. 

Jordan Clarke did force one corner but with the likes of Steve Jennings giving the ball away. Brentford continued to pose a real threat. 

In the 34th minute, an horrific back pass saw the ball given to Hayes in the area. Murphy came out and got a touch to concede a corner which was headed onto the bar by Tony Craig in his 250th Football League appearance. 

A goal for The Bees was coming and in the 41st minute, Harry Forrester slipped in and beat Murphy for the equaliser. 

Mark Robins threw on Carl Baker for the second half in place of Hussey. 

Baker came in for some stick from the City fans stood on the terrace, for pulling out of challenges and in the 59th minute, with the City support turning their attention to some good natured abuse of the home keeper Moore, Kevin Kilbane came on. 

David McGoldrick had a curler pushed over but Brentford were controlling the midfield and finding players far too easy. 

Murphy made a good save in the 63rd minute before Donaldson fired wide and another free header went just over as the static City defence stood watching. 

In the 78th minute, Cody McDonald came on for Callum Ball, who had a quiet night and spent most of his time chasing back. 

Richard Wood headed a Fleck corner before the Scot let rip with an 81st minute shot which bounced off Moore's right hand post. 

We reached stoppage time. Harry Forrester attacked down the left and Jordan Clarke brought him down. Forrester got up and sent Murphy the wrong way and Brentford had the win they deserved although it was only by 2-1 instead of the seven or eight goals they should have had.