City Draw A Blank At Barnet

Last updated : 07 October 2017 By CNS Sport
Barnet 0-0 Coventry City  
Coventry City: Burge, Grimmer, Willis, McDonald. Stokes, Kelly, Doyle, Devon Kelly-Evans (Shipley 76), Biamou, McNulty (Ponticelli 84), Jones. Subs: O'Brien, Davies, Stevenson, Vincenti, Beavon.
Barnet: Ross, Clough, Santos, Taylor, Tutonda, Harry Taylor, Bover, (Akinola 67) Fonguck (Mason Clark 67), Vilhete, Blackman (Shomutin 78), Akpro. Subs: McKenzie-lyle, Nelson, Kyei, Mars.
Goals  None
Att 4,041
Coventry City drew 0-0 At Barnet.
At the end of a week where the Sky Blues had got themselves back in with a chance of progressing in the EFL Trophy and manager Mark Robins avoided the dreaded Manager Of The Month award, it was off to Edgware for Coventry City's first ever competitive game at Barnet.
The Hive Stadium was a doddle to reach by tube and despite this game being shown live on Sky, there was no shortage of City supporters from home and abroad who had made the journey to Edgware in a ground surrounded by pitches for Barnet Academy.
1250 tickets had been sold to City supporters who were in fine voice on a wet lunchtime, who saw a City team without Duckens Nazon who was international duty.
City attacked the home terrace for the first half and had Jones curl in a fifth minute free kick which headed just wide.
Jack Taylor drove wide in the 12th minute for the home side, who were doing their best to stop City playing.
The Bees gifted City a corner but that was wasted and Barnett won their first flag kick in the 15th minute.
Blackman had a good chance in the 24th minute but it sailed past Burge"s right hand post and as three drummers started before being told off by the stewards and then were allowed to play for the City supporters, City finally had a shot when Jones fired over at the end where the Arch of Wembley Stadium could be clearly seen.
The drummers, who were the highlights of the first half, were given a standing ovation by the City support when they were escorted out of the ground in the 36th minute of a game which was lacking quality.
There were no changes at the break and after City wasted an early chance, Barnet could do nothing with a corner.
Jodi Jones pulled a shot across the goal and Devon Kelly-Evans then had City first shot on target with a twenty yarder at Ross, playing in a short-sleeved goal keeper's jersey.
McNulty got down the right and sent over a ball which missed Kelly-Evans and Doyle and then tried to walk the ball into the net.
Biamou got in a good 55th minute header at Ross which eventually led to a City corner.
Jones took and sent over a kick which won City, who had clearly had a rocket from Mark Robins at half-time, a throw.
Jones fired over in the 62nd minute as did Liam Kelly from third plus yardw when he had the time to run and get in a proper shot.
Barnet could not do anything with a free kick as the Sisu Out chants started from the City support, which officially totalled 1,309.
Grimmer drove at Ross before Mark Robins made his first change sending on Jordan Shipley for Devon Kelly-Evans who ran himself into the ground.             
Burge had a routine save to make against a Barnet side which had used all their substitutes in what had been a very poor game.
Biamou drove wide in the 83rd minute as the City support waited for Jordan Ponticelli to be introduced and in the 84th minute he was.
Two minutes later and City won a corner but a poor cross saw it go out for a throw
That came to Liam Kelly who hit a lovely shot which Ross pushed away for the first of two corners.
It looked like there was a handball as a Biamou effort was cleared off the line but it was not given and City took a draw.