City Can't Tame The Shrews

Last updated : 24 December 2018 By CNS Sport

Shrewsbury Town 1-0 Coventry City 

City:Burge, Wills, Hyam, Sterling. Brown (Shipley 91), Kelly. Ogogo (Hiwula 57), Bayliss, Thomas (Allassani 88),Chaplin. Clarke-Harris. Subs: Addai, Grimmer,  Westbrooke. Thompson. 

Shrewsbury Town: Arnold, Haynes (Emmanuel 74), Sadlier, Doherty, Okenabirhie (Sears 88),Bolton, Holloway (John Lewis 80),, Waterfall, Laurent, Norbury, Grant. Subs: Coleman. Angol,Gilliead, Colkett, 

Att 8,083 

Goals: Aaron Amadi-Holloway 48 

Image may contain: grass, sky, outdoor and nature

Coventry City failed to provide their supporters with any Christmas cheer losing 1-0 at Shrewsbury Town. 

The final game before Christmas and the Sky Blues made the short journey to Shrewsbury Town up the M6 and M54, still without a win since October. 

Mark Robins on his birthday, changed the side again with Dujon Sterling back in with a return for Conor Chaplin in a total of four changes from the side which lost to Luton Town last Saturday

The 1,639 strong City support had snapped up all the tickets and there was plenty of noise as Shrewsbury fielding former Sky Blue Ryan Haynes won a corner immediately.

On a ground, where there normally is sheep grazing in a field that offers a good view of the ground and the railway line and one City are yet to win at, Coventry City in their all white away kit, allowed Ryan Haynes, who was stupidly booed by some City supporters. to win another corner and start to pump balls forward.

This happened in the 11th minute with Holloway somehow missing at the far post with a header.

Ten minutes later, Hayes was involved in a moved which led to a corner and Kelly clearing off the line before there was applause for a supporter who sadly passed away aged 22.

City finally had something of note in the 26th minute with a freek kick which was hacked clear for Chaplin to fire wide.

Tom Bayliss got a header in on target from a cracking Brown cross and Kelly headed a 32nd minute corner off the line.

Laurent fired over in a half that was looking only a matter of time before the home side scored.

City won a 44th minute corner which completely wasted and a poor half for City came to an end as rumours flew round about Michael Doyle being involved in a training ground bust up, despite the club saying he had a knee injury.

Luke Thomas had an early chance saved by Arnold wearing the number 15 shirt, but Shrewsbury went up the other end and Aaron Amadi-Holloway headed home.

 “1-0 Down And We're Still Singing” was the chant from the City support  before Chaplin won a 53rd minute corner.

City continued to give the ball away and be second to everything so Robins replaced former Shrewsbury midfielder Abu Ogogo with Jordy Hiwula.

Clarke-Harris did get the ball in the net but it was offside, although Thomas did not think so and questioned the assistant on the Main Stand side.

Ryan Haynes went off to good applause in the 74th minute whilst City seemed content just to let time pass and not concede any more goals.

Kelly fired over in the 79th minute as time after time, City were second rate and suffered another defeat that saw both sets of supporters trying to get at each other at the end of the game.