Sphinx Leave It Late To Make Cup Progression

Last updated : 02 October 2012 By Kev Monks at Sphinx Drive


Sphinx: Martin, Johal, Fraser, D.Barrett, Holmes, Long, Saunders (S.Barrett 78), Rhodes, Cudworth (Jordan 71), Galdings, Cutting. SNU Bilic, Stevenson, Guest 

Coleshill: Pace, Keenan, Gasiewski, Fitzharris, Bradbury, Dickie, Duxby, Lee, Travis, Carter, Wilson. Subs Rahesey, O’Beirne, Gayle, Mansell, Conlon 


GOALS Kiam Galdings 37, Ryan Duxby 50, Kyle Rhodes 65, Barry Fitzharris 73, Christian Jordan 93

Referee Rob Cairns. Assts Ken Cox & Danny Hayes


Coventry Sphinx left it late to win their first Polymac Midland Alliance League Cup tie since they won the competition in 2009 with a 3-2 First Round victory over Coleshill Town. 

A good crowd at Sphinx Drive witnessed a thoroughly entertaining and at times fascinating display and after James Martin made a one handed save from Carter in the fifth minute, Sphinx started to find their rhythm,

Rhodes went wide from a Cutting cross and then won a free kick and a corner.

Coleshill rattled the woodwork in the 23rd minute before Paul Saunders had Sphinx's best effort with a 32nd minute curler. 

Three minutes later, Kiam Galdins whipped in a shot that brought the keeper in to action.

The next time. Pace touched the ball, it was under pressure from Kiam Galdings who made the most of the loose ball and lashed it into the net to see Sphinx take a 37th minute lead.


It was a lead that lasted until five minutes into the second half when Coleshill were awarded a free kick on the left and Ryan Duxby’s kick sailed high into the net.


Sphinx came back. Kyle Rhodes had fired wide but in the 65th minute, he turned inside the area and beat Pace with a close range shot which crept under the keeper’s body to restore the lead of Luke Hopkins side.


However, Coleshill, managed by former Leeds United player Justin Lanns, were as equally plucky as Sphinx and in the 73rd minute, Barry Fitzharris was on hand to equalise for a second time following a cross from the right.


Coleshill hit the bar with four minutes to go before this cup tie went into stoppage time with extra time looming.

In the third minute, substitute Steve Barrett crossed from the left and in ran fellow substitute Christian Jordan to head into the net from close range and send Sphinx into the Second Round with a 3-2 win.