City Beaten At Barnsley

Last updated : 19 July 2017 By CNS Sport
Barnsley 3-1 Coventry City
City Burge (GK) (O Brien 57),, Grimmer, (Dion Kelly-Evans 68), Willis (Hyam 73, McDonald (Pearson 73), Leahy (Maycock 73) Kelly (Stevenson 46)! Doyle (Shipley 68), Jones (Moorhouse 68), McNulty, (Ponticelli 57), Vincenti (Devon Kelly-Evans 73), Beavon (Biamou 55).
Barnsley; Townsend (GK); McCarthy, Pinnock, Jackson, Fryers (Yiadom); Mallan, Moncur (Bird), Mowatt (Sessi), Isgrove (Hammill); Brown (Ugbo), Payne (Bradshaw). 
Goals Steve Mallan 24, Stefan Payne 39, Stuart Beavon 54, Tom Bradshaw 68
Image may contain: stadium and outdoor 
Coventry City were beaten at Championship side Barnsley 3-1 tonight. 
The Sky Blues third pre-season game took them to Mark Robins' former stomping ground of Oakwell, Barnsley for what was always going to be a tough game.
There were 58 City supporters in the away end just before kick off to see the Sky Blues with trialist James Pearson on the bench, take to the field on a sunny evening.
The City team, playing in Sky Blue, was pretty much as expected and on the back foot immediately when a McDonald error let the Tykes have a second minute corner.
Jodi Jones was quite lively and had a shot blocked as did Stuart Beavon who came in for a shot which Townsend pushed away for a corner.
Lee Burge made two good saves before Vincenti blasted over in the 15th minute.
Barnsley took the lead in the 24th minute when Steve Mallan got past Leahy, the only first team left back due to injuries to Chris Stokes, Ryan Haynes and Chris Camwell and rifled a shot in off the left hand post into the net.
Barnsley should have scored another before Jodi Jones hit a cracking shot which Townsend pushed over for a 26th minute corner.
Jack Grimmer, who looked useful, fired wide from that flag kick but the ball was back up the other end with a corner and another in the 37th minute.
Two minutes later, a cross from McCarthy came past Leahy, Burge pushed away and at the far post, Stefan Payne dived to bundle home.
Beavon won a corner as the half in which City did reasonably well, came to a close.
Peter Vincenti had City's first effort of the second half, firing at Townsend and in the 54th minute, the City support, which had grown by a few more as the game went on, had a goal to cheer when Stuart Beavon got through and hit a shot which took a deflection and went into the net.
Jordan Ponticelli and Greg Moorhouse were thrown on as Barnsley, with former City loanee Adam Jackson controlling their defence, started to apply the pressure.
Image may contain: stadium and outdoor
Grimmer had to make a good block as O'Brien went walk about, whilst the home support were now cheering every touch from D'Almeda.
In the 68th minute, more poor defending saw the ball fall for Tom Bradshaw to drive into the net and a livid Liam O'Brien coming out to berate his defence.
Mark Robins completely changed the team with trialist Jamie Pearson coming on and putting in a reasonable perfomance as did Devon Kelly-Evans who had two two goes on goal.
City won a corner which was cleared and O'Brien flapped at a cross, with Moorhouse firing at Townsend and Biamou firing wide, before this good workout came to an end with a second pre-season defeat for the Sky Blues, who face MK Dons at Nuneaton on Friday.
Pictures copyright of CNS Sport