Best Concern As City Beat Killie

Last updated : 07 August 2008 By Kev Monks in Kilmarnock



Coventry City
Westwood,Wright,Fox,Ward,Dann,Tabb,Beuzelin,Simpson,Gray (McKenzie 86),Best (Morrison 20), Eastwood (Thornton 82)Subs not used Ireland,Turner,Hall,Borrowdale,Kyle


Rascle,Fowler,Wright,Pascali,O'Leary,Ford,Hamill,Fernandez,Sammon,Taouil, Bryson Subs Used Harpur,Locke,Morgan,Murray,Skelton

Attendance 2168 (174 Cov)
Man of the Match Julian Gray and Keiran Westwood tied the votes.
Vastly improved since our last visit in 1991. Four tidy stands. The City support was in the left of the Main Stand.

174 made the trip.
Some like us drove, others flew and got the train from Glasgow. Most stayed for the weekend.
City had Keiran Westwood back in goal and played Freddie Eastwood up with Leon Best.

Donovan Simmonds was injured and did not play for Jim Jeffries side.
Coventry City have concerns about striker Leon Best after completing their pre-season campaign with a 2-0 at Kilmarnock.

City wearing their home kit had to battle against the Scottish Premier League side and the first half was one of trying to establish midfield supremacy.

Best and Eastwood again looked formidable up front and had the ball in the net in the eighth minute. Leon Best forced Rascle into a reaction save with a header, Eastwood had a shot blocked and Best smacked home from six yards. However, the assistant on the Main Stand side spotted an infringement and ruled out the goal.

There were plenty of meaty challenges flying in. A 12th minute clash of heads with Robbie Simpson saw Frazer Wright having to be replaced.

Robbie Simpson dictates the play.

Then in the 20th minute, Leon Best suddenly pulled up with what we thought was a groin strain, and had to be replaced by Clinton Morrison. Best was walking after the match but had no idea as to what injury he had incurred.

Eastwood flashed a 24th minute shot over the bar as Killie started to boss the game and turn the screw on the City defence.

Unfortunately, for the home side, they had come up against an in form Keiran Westwood.

The keeper signed from Carlisle punched a free kick clear in the 27th minute and raced out of his goal to block a Mehdi Taouil shot.

Seven minutes later, the City support in the left hand section of the Main Stand witnessed Clinton Morrison's first shot on target for the Sky Blues.

Back came Killie and a Skelton cross was met by the diving head of Bryson but Westwood brilliantly blocked with his feet.

As the half came to a close, Jay Tabb, who played in the centre of midfield, fired over from 25 yards and then stroked wide.

Morrison who hopes to sign later this week, had the first attack of the second half and saw his 47th minute shot deflected into the side netting for a corner.

We had just laughed at the stewards synchronised marching up and down the exit steps, when we were on our feet.

Danny Fox played in Julian Gray. The winger cut inside the box and went down as a defender came across him with Referee Eddie Smith awarding a 54th minute penalty.

Clinton Morrison wanted to take the kick but Elliott Ward grabbed the ball and thumped home the spot kick.

More good footwork from Gray saw Simpson stab wide.

At the other end, Westwood continued to perform heroics but City had the upper hand and in the 81st minute were two goals ahead.

Julian Gray capped a fine game when he received the ball inside the area and went to his right and curled a stunning shot high into the net.

Gray about to shoot

Kevin Thornton and Leon McKenzie were sent on as City cruised to a well-deserved victory that will set then up for the first Championship match against Norwich next Saturday.

Kevin Thornton on the ball