City U23's Beat Forest

Last updated : 03 April 2017 By CNS Sport
City:  Addai (GK), Whitmore, Thompson, Harries, Leahy, Hickman, Maycock (Bayliss 28), Shipley, Sayoud, Spence (Finn 85), Vernam (Ponticelli 75) Subs: Skuza, Camwell.
Nottingham Forest: Wright: Charlesworth, Preston, Edser, Ahmedhodzic, lacovitt, Eneyah, Crookes ( Taylor 87), Gomis, Smith (Nelsen 87),, Wright (Gabriel 70). Subs: Marques, Worrell, Nelsen, Taylor. 
Coventry City U23's beat Nottingham Forest 1-0 this afternoon.
A day after Wembley and its back to the the bread and butter with an U23's game for Sky Blues.
City included Cian Harries who was on the bench at Wembley and loanee Charles Vernam, were having to defend from the start with Corey Addai making two good saves in the opening minutes.
Jak Hickman hit a cracking shot which won an sixth minute corner. That was cleared but City worked hard to get the ball back and have Kyle Spence send a twenty yarder just over.
Eneyah should have scored in the tenth minute when he was allowed space on the right by a static City defence to drive across the area.
Hickman won the first of two corners with Addai catching a Forest one in the 16th minute, watched on by a host of scouts.
Wright fired at Addai and Arron Smith drove wide before Nicky Eaden was forced into a change in the 28th minute when Nicky Eaden limped off and Tom Bayliss came on.
Darragh Leahy won a corner against Jack Lester's side who wasted a great chance when Gomis got through and slipped the ball wide of Addai's left hand post in the 38th minute.
Vernam curled a free kick at the Forest keeper whose poor kick saw get the ball again, only to be pulled up for being offside
Addai made a cracking save diving to his left in the 43rd minute to push a Gomis shot away .
In the second half and the full of running Kyle Spence was fouled for a 50th minute free kick which led to a corner. Bayliss had his shot blocked before the move broke down,
Smith was booked for a foul and Eneyah on the right fired high into the North Stand in the 56th minute.
Jak Hickman worked well for a City side which took the lead in the 59th minute when Charles Vernam got through, got fouled by Jordan Wright but got up to tap the ball into the empty net.
In the 63rd minute, Ahmedhodzic headed a corner onto the bar and six minutes later, a poor ball led to another for Forest who got Smith through only for Addai to save superbly.
Jacob Whitmore won a corner in the 70th minute. The ball came out to Jordan Shipley who hit a lovely shot which Jordan Wright dived to his right to push away for a corner.
Hickman won another corner but in the 75th minute, Charles Varnam  pulled up and limped away with an injured right ankle to be replaced by Jordan Ponticelli.
Eneyah fired wide after lacovitt had his shot blocked before Spence went off to good applause in the 85th minute. 
Ponticelli was another who picked up a knock against a physical Forest which had a chance late on but could not stop City from taking the win.