City U18's Beaten By The Hammers

Last updated : 17 September 2011 By Kev Monks at AHC

Coventry City U18's 1-3 West Ham United by Kev Monks

City:Fagan, Phillips, Donald (Pegg 85), Ruffles, Henderson, Willis, Roberts (Maund 77), Garner (Rankin 77), Clarke-Harris, Daniels, Richards.

West Ham: Lankins, Young, Potts, Hurley, K.Lee, Chambers, Turgett, Powell, E.Lee, Sadler, Vose (Miles 77). Subs Fandema, Cowler,Short, Nasher.

HT CCFC 0-2 WHU FT CCFC 1-3 WHU Goals Elliott Lee 21, Jack Powell 35, Billy Daniels 68, Lemar Hurley 83


Coventry City U18's were beaten 3-1 by West Ham United in an Academy League game this morning.

The action started on a sunny but breezy morning at the Alan Higgs Centre with a West Ham corner having to be dealt with in the opening seconds.

In the fifth minute, Jonson Clarke-Harris played a sublime ball for the diving Courtney Richards whose goal bound header had to be pushed away by visiting keeper Jake Lankin.

Clarke-Harris had a shot saved before Jordan Willis cleared off the line for a corner to deny Elliott Lee. In the 21st minute, Lee got his goal when he raced into the box and hit a low shot past Shane Fagan who was deputising for Lee Burge who was on first team duty.

Fagan made a good block to deny Lee but in the 35th minute he was picking the ball out of the net. West Ham were denied a penalty by referee Robbie Dadley when Vose was fouled. The referee awarded a free kick on the edge of the area which saw Lee's kick rebound off the City wall and fall for Jack Powell to rifle home from twenty yards.

Into the second half and Clarke-Harris sent a header inches wide of the keeper's left hand post two minutes in.

Clarke-Harris, who worked very hard up front in a City side which was battling against a good West Ham side, headed wide from a corner.

The industrious Josh Ruffles started to put pressure on the Hammers goal. He was involved in three attacks including a shot before he, in the opinion of a card happy referee was impeded by Powell and a 68th minute penalty was awarded.

Billy Daniels stepped up to score and was denied an equaliser in the 71st minute when Lankins dived to his left to beat away his piledriver.

Daniels tried again six minutes later but Lankins saved for the first of two corners and then got down to smother after Ruffles had got into the area.

Lankins used his feet to twice block as City tried to fashion an equaliser. But against the run of play, West Ham countered in the 82nd minute and Lemar Hurley beat Fagan to give West Ham a 3-1 victory.