Blaze Cannot Cope With Cold Steel

Last updated : 04 January 2009 By PM at the Sky Dome
Coventry Blaze lost their second must win game of the weekend when they went down to an overtime 4-3 defeat against Elite League Leaders Sheffield Steelers.

Paul Thompson's team, at a full Sky Dome, were two goals down inside the opening first four minutes of the first period thanks to goals from Joe Talbot and Scott Basiuk and delighting the 175 Sheffield Steelers fans in the Sky Dome.

On nine minutes the first fight of the night saw Slyvain Deschalets come out on top.

Ten minutes later, the Blaze support, who were calling for their players to show some passion, were left fuming when a goal was not given due to the puck being adjudged not to have crossed the line. The Blaze players protested but to no avail.

Paul Thompson became increasingly frustrated and shouting orders to his players with only Ben O'Connor coming out with any credit.

Blaze coach Paul Thompson

Lemann, the ex Blaze net minder dealt with the odd shot from the Coventry attack easily including a one on one with Danny Stewart.

Much had been made about Blaze not scoring from power play's especially in last night's defeat at Nottingham Panthers. Lemann deliberately put the Blaze on a power play by moving the net only for Blaze to fail to score again.

Finally, they did score on a power play and it came after 37. 28 when Jon Weaver found the net.

But just as the Sky Dome started to roar, back came the Steelers and Brad Cruickshank restored the visitors two goal margin. Paul Thompson left the ice with his side 3-1 down, whilst shaking his head and shouting at the referee.

Going into the third, the smell of hot dogs lingers in the air as the Blaze skate onto the ice after an ear bashing by Thompson.

With the temperature dropping outside, its Dan Carlson that heats up the ice making it 2-3, three minutes in.

The referee disallows a Blaze goal on 17.15 due to the Steelers net being out of position. Paul Thompson goes mad and and is warned by the referee but goes mental as Jon Weaver scores to tie the game with less than two minutes left to play.

On 19.20, another Blaze goal is disallowed and Sylvain Deschalets gets bined for charging as the game goes into overtime.

The Blaze start one short with four on three. Back to full strength, JF Peras pulls off a fantastic save. Blaze go up the other end but Jon Coleman misses an open goal.
With the Steelers one man short, Thompson calls a time out, but Sheffield score a short handed goal through Jeff Legue to win the match.

A great night of hockey sees Thompson shake everyone's hand but leaves the ice before the presentation. Lemann gets the Man of the Match vote for the Steelers whilst the referee is booed off.

On Saturday, The Blaze are at home to Hull Stingrays. Face Off is at 7pm with a trip to Manchester Phoenix the following evening (face off at 5.30pm)