Wood You Believe It? City Draw At Leeds

Last updated : 19 October 2011 By Kev Monks at Elland Road


City Murphy, Christie, Keogh, Hussey, Wood, Clingan, Thomas, Deegan (Bigirimana 46), Bell, Jutkiewicz, Platt (McDonald 46). SNU Dunn, Cameron, O'Donovan.

Leeds Rachubka, Connolly, Howson, Clayton, Pugh, Lees, Snodgrass (Vayrynen 78), White, A. Keogh (Forsell 68), McCormack (Becchio 68), O''Dea. SNU Cairns, Kisnorbo.


Referee A.Haines Assts  Paul Davison and Peter Wright

Booked Wood, Snodgrass

Goals Darren O''Dea (26), Richard Wood (92)

Man Of The Match - Richard Wood took the votes with nominations for Bigirimana and McDonald.


If anyone wants to know why we support Coventry City and dedicate so much time and effort to them, then you only have to look at the final few minutes of a match at Elland Road which saw Richard Wood snatch a dramatic draw and give us a feeling of euphoria hard to match in normal life.

We travelled up the M1 having heard all the "City never do well at Leeds" claims and arrived at Elland Road on a cold wet Tuesday night, where we parked for free right next to the ground (certainly worth trying to see if it brings in any more to the Ricoh) and after catching up with a Leeds supporting mate of long standing, we took our place in the Main Stand at Elland Road.

This moving of away supporters from the South East Corner was something Leeds had brought in recently as a way of offering more cheap seats to home fans and giving away supporters dearer ones.

The carpet on the floor in the concourse in what used to be for corporate hospitality certainly made a change and was commented upon by many of the 300 City fans, including Gary Hoffman and Joe Elliott, who clapped an unchanged City team onto the pitch.

Leeds were clearing their own attacks early on before Jutkiewicz fired over in the 11th minute after an initial Hussey shot was blocked.

Now the City supporters, who had been receiving unwarranted attention from a Yorkshire Police photographer, had been taking umbrage with the sky blue shirted assistant referee in front of us for not keeping up with play and in the 26th minute, the City fans were fuming when Leeds took the lead.

The ball went out to the right and the Leeds player whom the City support were level with (unlike  the assistant) was clearly offside and seeking an advantage when the ball was played. The cross landed on the foot of Clive Platt and Darren O'Dea took the ball off him and drove a low shot into the bottom corner of the net.

We were still fuming as as McCormack had a shot saved by Murphy for the first of two corners.

City were struggling to hold the midfield and in the 40th minute, losing the ball in the middle third led to the ball coming back to the unmarked Ross McCormack who blasted over from twelve yards.

Andy Thorn, who had been well backed in the first half by the City support, knew changes had to be made and brought on Gael Bigirimana and Cody McDonald for the second half.

Both players got stuck in as the City fans launched into a fourteen minute long chorus of "Andy Thorn''s Sky Blue Army".

Murphy made two good saves on the hour mark before City started to raise their game, realising that Leeds tonight were running short of ideas.

City defended when they had to and after Simon Grayson had gone for a double change, taking off his front men, the action moved towards the South Stand end.

Cody McDonald was putting himself round and did well under pressure to get in a 72nd minute shot.

Three minutes later, David Bell decided not to pass for once, a good idea as some of his passing tonight was being slammed by the City support, and sent a 25 yarder just over.

Urged on, City continued to press.  Cody McDonald headed a Hussey cross onto the bar and over.

A Christie cross was caught by Rachubka just before the fourth official announced three minutes of stoppage time. Leeds boss Simon Grayson was not impressed with the amount of time and was even less impressed when Cyrus Christie got down the right in the second minute of stoppage time. His low cross was met by Rachubka who could ony push the ball into the path of Richard Wood.

From six yards, Wood thumped the ball high into the net and raced over to the City fans who were going absolutely mental at a point which felt as good as a win.