Injury HIt City Held To A Draw At Stevenage

Last updated : 22 November 2017 By CNS Sport
Stevenage 1-1 Coventry City 
City: Burge, Willis. McDonald, Haynes, Davies, Doyle, Kelly (Maycock 18), Shipley, Jones (Vincenti 61), McNulty (Ponticelli 93_Biamou. Subs; O'Brien, Hyam. Stokes,  Devon Kelly-Evans.
Stevenage: Fryer,  Henry, King, Wilkinson. Martin, Beautyman (Samuel 61), Smith, McKee, Pett (Conlon 90), Newton, Godden (Whelpdale 68). Subs: Day, Vancooten, Franks, 
Goals Marc McNulty 21, Tom Pett 75
Att 2,554
Coventry City suffered two injuries and were pegged back for a 1-1 draw at Stevenage.
A not particularly nice Tuesday night and it was off to Stevenage for a League Two fixture. 
Considering this was not a new ground, it was a decent turn out by the City support with around 760 City supporters from as far away as Nottinghamshire and Southampton making their way into the stand behind the goal to see City keep the same starting eleven as the one at Lincoln on Saturday.
On a pitch with leaves and no lights in the stand, City, whose supporters made it known they were happy to sing in the dark, attacked the home terrace behind the goal at the Lamex Stadium for the first half. 
A Shipley free kick in the 2nd minute corner lead to a corner which was cleared and a block of Stevenage fans on their side terrace started to make some noise.
Ryan Haynes was next to attack for City, getting down the left and firing wide just before Marc McNulty got the ball into the net in the eleventh minute but was adjudged to have fouled the defender trying to dispossess him.
Stevenage won a 16th minute corner which was well headed away by Jordan Willis for another corner.
Liam Kelly had made a couple of good tackles but picked up a knock in the 18th minute and had to be replaced by Callum Maycock.
The midfielder had not long been on the pitch when City won a corner when a McNulty shot was saved. That came over and there was Marc McNulty to bundle the ball into the net amongst a crowd of players. much to the delight of the travelling support.
With McDonald, Davies and Willis doing well in defence, City were able to clear the crosses aimed at Newton, whom Mark Robins had admitted an interest in.
Jodi Jones swung a 32nd minute cross wide and Newton blasted over, to taunts of "City Reject" from the City supporters. 
Haynes whipped in another cross as yet another ambulance went past the home terrace on the main road.
Davies blocked well to concede a 38th minute corner that Burge caught at the second attempt.
The home side had the first chance of the second half with a shot that went well wide before Biamou was pulled up for offside and then fouled in the opinion of the City supporters but not the referee. 
McNulty curled wide as City took the game to the Hertfordshire side with a cracking Haynes cross and Jones firing wide.
A McNulty run and shot saw the ball go high into the stand where the City supporters were housed.
McNulty was could fouled for a 56th minute. Jones took it, hit the wall and won a corner and should have had another a minute later when Luke Wilkinson put the ball out. Something seen by the City support but not the badly placed referee or assistant on the main stand.
Just on the hour mark, there was a crunching tackle on Jodi Jones and a stretcher was called for.
It looked serious and Jones, who had been playing well, was stretchered off and replaced by Peter Vincenti.
The home side had a corner and McNulty set up Biamou for a shot that Fryer just about smothered. 
Burge then caught a 73rd minute cross under pressure and Shipley fired wide. 
Stevenage went up the other end. The ball bounced and Tom Pett was left free to blast the ball high into the net and level the game with 15 minutes to go.
To be honest, it was not a surprise as the injuries had knocked the wind out of City.
Shipley volleyed over a McNulty cross and Burge saved from Newton before McNulty got his feet stuck the wrong side of the ball with four minutes to go.
Stevenage won a couple of corners as seven minutes were added on.
Jordan Ponticelli came on for four of those but could do nothing and a draw it was.