An Impish Win For Coventry City

Last updated : 18 November 2017 By CNS Sport
Lincoln City 1-2  Coventry City 
City: Burge, Willis, Davies. McDonald Haynes, Doyle, Kelly, Shipley (Stokes 88), Jones. McNulty (Nazon 51), Biamou. Subs: O'Brien, Hyam, Ponticelli, Maycock, Vincenti.
Lincoln City: Vickers, Long, Raggett, Dickie, Earnley, Woodward, Bostwick, Anderson (Pamer 78), Arnold (Stewart 76), Rhead (Whitehouse 68), Green. Subs: Farman, Habergham, Waterfall, Knott,
Goals Mark Rhead 27, Jodi Jones 61, Duckens Nazon 69
Att 9,581
It was a game of two halves but Coventry City had the better of the second half and left Sincil Bank with a 2-1 win.                
At the end of a quiet week, the Sky Blues made their way up the A46 to Lincoln for the first time for a first team league gasince 1963 or August 1983 for a pre-season game.
Both sets of supporters had snapped up every ticket for this game and the pubs around the ground in what is a pleasant city, and the fanzone, which featured an appearance from Darren Huckerby which went down well with both sets of supporters. were doing a roaring trade. 
Mark Robins changed the team and went with Max Biamou and Marc McNulty up front on a cold afternoon, where there had been some rain. 
This game which was very heavily policed saw Coventry City, in their grey away kit, attacking the end where the 1460 City support were housed in the Stacey West stand which was probably too over-populated and left some of the City support which had travelled from up and down the country, feeling that it was not the safest stand, they had ever been in.
The Sky Blues could have been ahead when a Jordan Shipley ball flashed across the area in the opening seconds and had that gone in, it would have given Mark Robins side a good platform on which to build.
However, it didn't and Lincoln got the chance to show why they have a good home record which helped them out of the National League and back into the Football League after a sixth year absence and a good defensive record with Dickie, Bostwick and Sam Raggett, all looking comfortable against the threat of Max Biamou and Marc McNulty, who really should have done better with a tame effort and the goal at his mercy.
Michael Doyle and Liam Kelly both played determined roles in trying to get City pressing,  Doyle, fired at Vickers and Biamou headed wide a Haynes cross before the Imps won a 21st minute corner that led to another that was cleared off the line.
Burge caught the next corner. It went upto Jones, who centred for McNulty to get in a shot which bobbled just wide of Vickers left hand post.
In the 27th minute, City fell behind when they failed to deal with a cross from the left from Sean Long and Mark Rhead got to the ball to volley past Lee Burge.
Jordan Shipley got in a shot and then set up Biamou, who did well in the air, for a 33rd minute effort which went just over the bar.
Kelly had a shot pushed over for a flag kick and then Vickers got down to save from McDonald before Kelly fired over yet again.
In first half stoppage time. Jones had a shot pushed over for a corner but Shipley who battled well, over hit it and that was it for the first half. 
There were no changes at the break but it was was obvious to the City support that a change was needed by Mark Robins to deal with the height and the physicality that the home side possessed.
Six minutes left in and Mark Robins did make the change sending on Duckens Nazon in place of Marc McNulty.
With the Haitian on, City, backed by the City supporters playing their part in making some excellent atmosphere, were starting to create more chances and forcing Josh Vickers in the Imps goal to earn his wages.
A 57th minute corner for City was dealt with ny the home defence but the Sky Blues were back having another go immediately with Jones blazing over.
Then there was pandemonium in the away end as a cross came over and fell to Jodi Jones on the right. He cut inside and thumped a lovely shot into the net to get City level with 61 minutes gone.
Lincoln were nearly back in front a couple of minutes after the goal when Matt Green headed a free kick onto the bar for a Lincoln side who were quite happy to use their elbow.
However, in the 69th minute, there were more scenes of City supporters celebrating as best they could in the cramped conditions, in the away end as Jodi Jones had a shot blocked by Vickers. The ball went loose and Jones met it but smashed it against the cross ba and when it came back to earth, Duckens Nazon came in and drove past Vickers for City's second goal of the game.
The stuffing had clearly been knocked out of Lincoln with City now controlling the game and trying as often as possible to get Nazon as much shooting practice as they could.
Lincoln had a few attempts on goal either side of a hefty challenge on Jordan Shipley forcing him off, but they were nothing of any real concern to Lee Burge and the City defence and midfield and the final whistle went, allowing the Sky Blues to celebrate a decent day with a hard fought victory.