A Draw for Two Struggling Teams

Last updated : 30 October 2011 By kev Monks at the Keepmoat Stad


SAT OCT 29 At Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster 

Teams: Coventry City: Murphy, Christie, Keogh, Hussey (McPake 26), Cameron, Baker (Bell 90), Thomas, Clingan, McSheffrey (Deegan 74), Jutkiewicz, McDonald.
Subs Platt, Dunn

Docaster: Sullivan, Matis, Naylor, Friend, Chimbonda, Ilunga, Stock (Mason 85), Gillett, Bennett (Dumbaya 70), Hayter, Barnes (Coppinger 46). SNU O'Connor, Maxtel

ATT 8426
Referee C. Webster Assts S.Copeland & S.Stockbridge
Booked Cameron, Stock, Gillett
Goals Sammy Clingan 31, James Hayter (59)
Man Of The Match - Keogh, Christie, McPake and Clingan took the votes

The unhappy hunting ground that is Doncaster kept up its reputation of never seeing a Coventry City win as the Sky Blues chucked away a victory and were left to settle for a 1-1 draw.

Backed by a good following for our third trip to Doncaster in a month which included supporters from London and Kent, Andy Thorn's side, which saw three changes and included birthday boy Conor Thomas, made an encouraging start on a sunny afternoon.

Attacking the end where the City fans were, they cleared a third minute corner and came close to scoring in the seventh minute when a Sullivan clearance hit McSheffrey and bounced towards the goal before the keeper got back to rescue the situation.

City were passing the ball well in their own half but when it came to doing it in the opposition half, it was a different matter.

Murphy made a good save in the 23rd minute from a Doncaster player whose black number was hard to read on the home side's shirt.

With Chris Hussey, having to be replaced by James McPake, out of nothing the Sky Blues took the lead.

Richard Keogh slipped the ball inside to Sammy Clingan who sent a 31st minute shot from the edge of the area high into the net.

Carl Baker was unlucky with a corker of a shot two minutes after the goal which Sullivan pushed over for a corner and although, Murphy was the busiest of the two keepers, the Sky Blue support headed for the half-time refreshments the happier.

Doncaster made a change at the break bringing on James Coppinger and in the 59th minute, he crossed for James Hayter who had been left totally unmarked and looking offside, to fire past Murphy for the equaliser.

Lukas Jutkiewicz today had an off day and as he was not able to do anything with the chances he had, whilst the likes of Christie, Keogh and McPake dealt with things at the back.

With six minutes to go, Murphy pushed a Gillett shot over and the match finished with the Sky Blues back in the bottom three after dropping another two points.


Picture copyright of Covsupport News Service. Credit CNS/KM