Sphinx Get The Point

Last updated : 08 October 2011 By Kev Monks at Sphinx Drive


O'Neill, Barrett (Stevenson 66), Fraser (Saunders 77), Bilic, McAteer, Long, Muldoon (A.William 52), Edwards, Ruff, Donaldson, Jackson. Subs Kwemba-Kandu, Daffern
Brassington, Evans, Reddish (Robinson 51), Blaice, Mills, Lewis, Holmes, Missam (Fisher 77), Yonwin, Wallen, Reynolds. Subs  Taylor, Carline,  Waldrum
Goals Ashley Jackson 1, Jack Edwards 20, Troy Wallen 32, David Yonwin 41 & 67, Jack Edwards 83

There were goals aplenty at Sphinx Drive as Coventry Sphinx stopped their recent run of cup defeats with a 3-3 home draw against Heather St Johns in a Midland Alliance game. 

Sphinx got off to a great start with only 53 seconds gone when Tom Muldoon attacked down the right and crossed for Ashley Jackson to flick home from close range.
They continued to attack and in the 20th minute, Jack Edwards rose to head home a second.
In the 32nd minute, a brilliant block gave Heather a corner and Troy Wellen was left unmarked to head in and nine minutes later, David Yonwin rose unchallenged to meet a Lewis cross and Sphinx’s early good work was un-done. 

Danny McSheffrey’s side were in the mood for a battle and they were always looking to create chances with Josh Ruff firing over against a Heather side relying on the counter-attack. 

It was a rare counter attack that saw Heather go in front in the 67th minute when they went up the other end after Ashley Jackson had hit the side netting and David Yonwin was able to chip the ball over the advancing Carl O’Neill.

Every one of the Sphinx players and the three substitutes upped their game. They started to keep the ball and threaten the visitors defence as they had done earlier. 

In the 83rd minute, they got their reward when Jack Edwards got up from twelve yards out to head home a cross from the right and delight the Sphinx support by finding the net with his firm header. 

Sphinx might have had a penalty after the referee Andy Parker missed a blatant shove in the back before Heather forward Lee Reynolds was sent off in the 90th minute for a rash two footed challenge but they had to settle for a welcome one point instead of the three which they would have had on another day.