City's EFL Trophy Campaign Over

Last updated : 07 November 2017 By CNS Sport
Coventry City 2-1  West Bromwich Albion U21's 
Coventry City O'Brien, Dion Kelly-Evans ( Bayliss 75), Willis (Thompson 58), Stokes, Hyam, Stevenson,.Maycock, Vincenti,(Biamou 46), Devon Kelly-Evans, Beavon. Thomas. Subs: Burge, Ford, Leahy, Finn, 
West Bromwich Albion U21's: Palmer, Burke, Morton, Melbourne, Soleman, Jameson, Bradley (Hall 81), Ferguson, Clayton-Phillips (Wilding 65), Azaz (Soule 77), Brown.  Subs: House,  Pierce, Harmon, White.
Goals Ben Stevenson 57, Max Biamou 62, Oliver Burke 72
Att 1,429
Coventry City beat West Bromwich Albion U21's but went out of the EFL Trophy. 
A wet Tuesday in Coventry and it's the final Northern Section Group E game for the 2017 EFL Trophy holders Coventry City who took on West Bromwich Albion U21's at the Ricoh Arena.
Mark Robins side went into the game after progressing to the FA Cup Second Round on Sunday, knowing that they had to win and hope that Shrewsbury beat Walsall to qualify as group runners up for Round Two.               
The City team was changed with only Peter Vincenti keeping his place from Sunday's team, whilst the Baggies fielded Oliver Burke and Nick Clayton-Phillips who had scored twice when West Brom visited Coventry Sphinx for a Birmingham Senior Cup tie a couple of weeks ago.
West Brom in white and red shirts got the game underway with City attacking the end where the thirty plus visiting fans were.
In the tenth minute. the visitors had the first real shot of the game which Liam O'Brien got down to before it was cleared for a corner.
City had a corner two minutes later but it was met by a tame Vincenti and the Baggies went up the other end and won a corner.
A corner for City in the 23rd minute followed but provided an easy catch for Alex Palmer who then caught another cross.
With Shrewsbury and Walsall still 0-0. Kwame Thomas dragged a shot across the face of the goal.
Clayton-Phillips got past two players and curled a shot at O'Brien and the speed of Burke won a corner on the half hour mark for a Baggies side which had come looking to not lose their third game in a row. 
Good work in the 35th minute saw the ball for Stevenson who volleyed well wide, allowing the Baggies to go up the other end and win a corner along with another in the 37th minute which saw a Clayton-Phillips shot blocked.
Stuart Beavon finished off a cross in the 39th minute but the flag was up.
Two corners for City followed and Maycock fired wide before a turgid first half ended.
Peter Vincenti was replaced at the break by Max Biamou as City went three up front.
Five minutes in and O'Brien had to save following good work from Callum Morton who then helped his side win a corner and then another in a game where most of the noise came on the pitch rather than from the stand where most of the 1,429 crowd with some City supporters from as far as Kent and Brighton, were.
Stevenson sent a 54th minute pile drive high into the North Stand but three minutes later a patient build up and from twenty or so yards out, Ben Stevenson thumped a shot into the net.
Jordan Thompson came on for Jordan Willis for a City side which had Kwame Thomas get in a shot which was blocked for a corner.
That 62nd minute flag kick came in and there was Max Biamou to head into the net for his first goal since joining City from Sutton United.
Aziz struck the post for the Baggies. who had replaced Clayton-Phillips, following a move down the left.
In the 72nd minute and with Shrewsbury still 0-0, the visitors pulled a goal back when the £15m costing Oliver Burke got a touch to send the ball in past O'Brien.
Tom Bayliss came on the last fifteen minutes of a game which had Chris Stokes rampaging down the left flank, putting in a couple of crosses.
Five minutes were added on as news came through that Walsall were winning 1-0 which meant that City were out.