Sphinx Held By Highgate

Last updated : 18 January 2011 By Kev Monks at Sphinx Drive


Bryce, Muldoon, Holmes, Saunders, Ward (sent off 92), Cudworth. Hopkins (Robbins 63), Rhodes (Fraser 76), Phillips, Donaldson (Williams 84), Stevenson SNU Fletcher, Daffern

Hoccum, Edwards, Gaglewski, Baines, Collins (Kierney 84), Checketts, Stone (A. Hopkins 84), Mitchell, Povey, Turner (Slevin 84), Allen-Noble
SNU Pinnock, Carnal

Goals Kelvin Phillips (14),Daniel Povey (36)

Coventry Sphinx still look for their first victory of 2011 after a 1-1 home draw with Highgate United tonight.

Both sides had not won since November and Sphinx supporters were describing this as a must win game, but there was no lack of energy from either side as the match kicked off at a frantic pace.

The opening fifteen minutes on a cold night at Sphinx Drive were notable for two big incidents involving the referee Craig Ward.

The first came in the 11th minute and saw Sphinx keeper Tom Bryce come out to kick the ball away. Mr Ward decided to award a free kick and the keeper was cautioned. Matthew Collins' place kick struck the left hand post and after regrouping Sphinx went up the other end.

A 14th minute shot on the edge of the area hit the hand of Jacob Baines who moved to block the ball and a penalty was awarded which
Kelvin Phillips
duly dispatched to put Sphinx ahead.

Highgate levelled in the 36th minute when a Scott Turner shot from the edge of the area hit the bar and Daniel Povey
banged home the loose ball.

Both keepers were then called into action with Donaldson denied by the visiting keeper and just before the break, Bryce bravely blocked from Turner to concede a corner.

Rhodes had a back header saved but it was Highgate who were on top in the opening fifteen minutes of the second half. They created a number of chances, the best of which saw a Tom Stone hit the bar with a 58th minute header.

Rhodes and Stevenson who worked hard in Sphinx's midfield, both had chances before Turner nodded wide in the 71st minute.

Bryce saved from Allen-Noble and both sides made changes including a triple from the Highgate bench as the game went into stoppage time and Terry Ward, who had been strong in defence along side Cudworth, Holmes and Muldoon was sent off for a second bookable offence as the game finished in a draw.