Point For Sphinx At Coalville

Last updated : 21 January 2009 By Kev Monks at Owens Park
Coventry Sphinx took their first ever point from Owens Park with a 1-1 draw against Coalville Town.

Craig Martin, who came on in the second minute of the 2-0 win at Cradley on Saturday for Luke Hopkins who fractured his cheekbone, started up front for Paul Charnley's side.

It was a foul on the veteran striker, which led to Sphinx's first chance of the game in the fourth minute and saw Robbie Stevenson free kick saved by home keeper Chris Gibson.

Coalville, who travel to Spennymoor for an FA Vase replay on Saturday, took the lead in the 20th minute. A Gary Mead throw in failed to reach Jimmy Halton who lost possession and Carl Adams was able to round the Sphinx keeper and stroke the ball into an empty net.

Sphinx then upped their work and were level inside ten minutes. Robbie Stevenson got the ball on the left and drove over a low cross for Callum Woodward on the right hand side of the penalty area to fire home with a neat shot.

With former Leamington man and Coventry resident Martin Thompson lucky to stay on for an elbow on Terry Ward which left the defender with a cut inside his mouth, a sublime 40th minute through ball from Dave Drennan sent Halton on his way. Unfortunately for the Sphinx supporters who travelled to Leicestershire on a bitterly cold evening, Gibson came out to beat Halton to the ball and clear the danger.

Two minutes before the break, Carl Adam was put through at the other end but hit Carl O'Neill's right hand post before the ball was scrambled away.

Four minutes after the restart, Stuart Cameron was forced to head a corner over his own bar as Sphinx had the early play.

Every player put in a good shift for Sphinx with youngster Craig Goodbody having another good game. In the 72nd minute, the defender, who missed out on being involved in the full England Schools squad due to bosses going with thirteen from the London area, one from Birmingham and two from the North, threaded a ball for Halton but yet again, Gibson denied him.

Subsititute Tom Thacker fired over and with three minutes remaining, Sphinx attacked through Callum Woodward who saw his shot crash against the bat and the post before a defender was able to clear and ensure that the game finished in a draw.

On Saturday, Sphinx face Stratford Town at Sphinx Drive and then are at home again on Tuesday night to Alvechurch in a re-arranged Midland Alliance fixture.


Elsewhere, Southern League leaders Leamington won 2-0 at Nuneaton. Bellingham (18) and Lenton (86) were the goal scorers in front of a crowd of 1355.

Bedworth United lost 4-1 at Bromsgrove Rovers. Lamb scored a consolation penalty in the 83rd minute. Atherstone's game at Chasetown was postponed.

In the Midland Alliance, Racing Club Warwick lost 2-0 at home to Coleshill Town. Sphinx are third in the table behind leaders Market Drayton who beat Studley 4-3 tonight.

In the Midland Combination Premier Division, only twelve hardy souls witnessed Massey Ferguson 1-0 home defeat by Bartley Green.