City Come Back Twice For A Point At Barnsley

Last updated : 30 March 2019 By CNS Sport

Barnsley 2-2 Coventry City 

City: Burge, Willis .Hyam, Sterling, Mason (Brown 78), Kelly, Bayliss, Thomas (Wakefield 85), Enobakhare, Bakayoko. Hiwula. Subs: Addai, Grimmer, Davies, Meyler, Shipley.

Image may contain: stadium, crowd and outdoor




Barnsley:Davies, Pinnock, Lindsay, Cavare, Thiam, (Adeboyejo 88), Mowatt, Ben Williams, Brown (Green 80), Hedges (Bahre 75), McGheehan, Woodrow. Subs: Walton, Jackson, Styles, Jordan Williams,

Att 13,503 (1853 City)

Goal Alex Mowatt 10, Jordy Hiwula 34, Corey Woodrow 48, Luke Thomas 62,


Coventry City came from behind twice to earn an excellent 2-2 draw at Barnsley.

A trip to Barnsley and if Coventry City had put away their chances and not conceded soft goals, it should have been a case of second versus third or fourth, not second versus ninth, following the defeat to Oxford last week. 

Mark Robins fielded an expected team and his side kicked off to plenty of noise from the 1.800 strong City support massed behind the goal.

City were bright but allowed Ryan Hedges the first chance of the game with a shot that ended up in the away end, where the Sky Blue Song was belting out and an end that included Max Biamou and David Busst.

A City corner was cleared. Dujon Sterling should have done better but the ball went into the area and Alex Mowatt was allowed space to score past Burge with ten minutes gone. 

Chants of "F the EFL" and "F Cov Council" followed from the City support who were watching both sides playing long ball stuff. 

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport and outdoor



Hiwula hit the post in the 32nd minute but the flag from the assistant on the main stand side had been up for a while.

Brandon Mason had one shot then in the 35th minute, put in a great cross for Jordy Hiwula to control well before smashing into the net, sparking wild scenes in the away end for a goal which was the first goal Barnsley had conceded for eleven hours.

Woodrow continued to be a threat for the home side as did Thiam who forced to Burge into a good save just before two minutes were added on.

On a gorgeous sunny afternoon at Oakwell, City fell behind just over two minutes into the second half when Corey Woodrow was left free to thump home.

Thomas won a 51st minute corner as Barnsley continued to shoot from distance.

In the 62nd minute, there were more wild scenes as the ball came over from Bright Enobakhare to Luke Thomas who cut inside and smashed it high into the net. 

Image may contain: one or more people and crowd




“City Till I Die” was the chant as Hiwula had a shot on the turn saved by Davies in what was now an even game.

Burge saved from Ben Williams and then Bakayoko tried to round Davies before falling over the advertising hoardings

Brandon Mason picked up a knock running himself into the ground and had to go off with thirteen minutes left with Junior Brown coming on.

The noise from the City support continued with Wakefield coming on and a Hyam header brilliantly saved by Davies. .

City defended well as six minutes were added on and started to look for a winner with Davies having to push a header over but it was not to be and it was a very valuable point which City left with.



Picture copyright of CNS Sport