Tudgay Goal Enough To Beat Watford

Last updated : 31 July 2014 By Covsupport News Service


Watford First Half: Gomes (GK); Doyley, Angella, Tamas, Pudil; Tozser (Andrews 22), Abdi (c), Battochio; Dyer, Vydra, Anya.

WATFORD Second Half: Gomes (Bond 59); Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand, Hoban; Murray (Ighalo 68), Andrews, McGugan; Deeney (c), Ranegie, Fabbrini.

COVENTRY CITY: Allsop (Burge 46), Clarke (Haynes 71), Johnson (c) (Seaborne 46), Webster (Phillips 71), Willis (Daniels 71), Pugh (Finch 71), Fleck (Lawton 71), C Thomas (Barton 71), O'Brien (Swanson 64), Tudgay (Maddison 64), Miller (G Thomas 64)


ATT 600 est

Goals Marcus Tudgay 8



What a difference a day makes. Twenty four hours after leaving South Wales with a 1-0 defeat at League Two Newport County, Coventry City beat Championship Watford 1-0.

With no injuries from the game in South Wakes, the Sky Blues set off down the M1 to play Watford. However, Vicarage Road was deemed to be not worth opening and the match was played at the less easier to get to Conference South venue of Boreham Wood FC.

Steven Pressley, who was minus Steve Ogrizovic from his management team yet again, on a glorious night, fielded his strongest side but were soon defending to clear a first minute corner against a Watford side included Lloyd Dyer and Matej Vydra and Ikechi Anya

The seventy or so City fans, backing the team, saw ‎Miller fire at Gomes before City in their sky blue kit, won a free kick on the left. The ball was initially cleared as far as a City player in John Fleck and the Scot played in  Marcus Tudgay who slipped the ball past the advancing former Tottenham keeper after eight minutes.

Watford, who did not produce a programme for this game, won two corners ‎and has Almen Abdi fire over before Reda Johnson drew applause from the City fans behind the goal with a good challenge and then a ball up to the lively Tudgay, who was then fouled.

In the 21st minute, Danny Pugh smashed a window in the club shop in the corner by the main stand, from a Willis ball with a blasted shot but seven minutes later, City went a lot more closer when Tudgay had a shot on the turn pushed over for a corner.

One City player, who was impressing early on, was Reda Johnson and the City support including a number from London and the Home Counties, were soon comparing him to Mo Konjic after a surging run and shot and there was praise for Shaun Miller fired wide in what was a decent first half for City.

There was two changes at the break for the Sky Blues with Seaborne on for Reda Johnson and Burge on for Allsop.

Watford, who made a number of changes at the interval, started the brighter ‎with Ranegie firing  wide in the 51st minute but with City defending well so Pressley decided to send on Swanson, Maddison ‎ and George Thomas for the last twenty five minutes.

Maddison got involved straight away for City who completed all their changes in the 70th minute, bring on the rest of the twenty two man squad.

Lee Burge stopped Deeney with six minutes to go, allowing City to win a corner at the other end and although Watford had some late pressure, the City defence was more than capable of dealing with any threat and Coventry City ran out 1-0 winners.