Beaten By Brasov

Last updated : 20 June 2009 By Kev Monks in Martigny




Second half team

Westwood (Ireland

63), Birchall, Borrowdale, Dann, Thornton, McKenzie, Kyle, Eastwood (Morrison 71), Gunnarssen, Simmonds



Goals Marius Maldararasunu (2), Leon Best (39),Doel Zaharia (55),Atilla Hadnagy (57)

Booked Simpson, Niclau

Att 30

Man of the Match Simpson 1st half,Gunnarssen second half



The State De L'Esperance is situated on the western side of Martigny. Close to the borders of Italy and France. Set in the Canton of Wallis, Martigny has two football grounds. A museum dedicated to St Bernard Dogs

and one of the town events include prize cow fighting.

The ground at Martigny Croix is used by 3rd Division FC Lacombe and
comprises of a fenced off pitch with floodlights. It is however, probably the most picturesque ground that I have ever seen City play at.



Only four of us flew from England. We were joined by an exile who lives in the area at the break.

No programmes or team sheets for this game were on sale at the ground.


Coventry City were beaten by Romanian top flight side FC Brasov in the opening game of their Swiss tour.

On a pleasant evening at the home of FC Lacombe, City were a goal down
inside one hundred seconds after conceding a free kick on the edge of the area.

The City
defence, which included trialist Stephen Wright, left Marius Maldarasanu alone on the right of the area and he gave Westwood no chance from seven yards.

The Sky Blues playing a 4-4-2 formation started to find their form. Robbie Simpson linked well with Leon Best whilst Julian Gray worked hard on the left flank.

Westwood did have to make a smart save from Fabio in the 24th minute whilst at the other end, Best went close with a header from a Mifsud cross.

Guillame Beuzelin controlled the midfield for City and in the 38th minute, he should have put City ahead when he dragged a shot across the face of the goal.

City, in a niggly first half, attacked a minute later and this time,
Leon Best, on the right drew City level with a right-footed curler into the bottom of the net from the edge of the area.

City left to good applause and Chris Coleman used the break to make ten changes including Freddie Eastwood partnering Kevin Kyle up front.

Eastwood's early touches looked good but so did some of the players
being brought on by the Brasov manager.

Westwood saved with his feet and Kyle headed over but in the 55th minute, the Romanians appealing won them a corner. The ball was sent over to the edge of the area for Doel Zaharia to powerfully head home.

Two minutes later, Brasov scored again. This time, their right-winger
attacked down the right and got past Gary Borrowdale to centre for Atilla Hadnagny to slot home from ten yards.

Danny Ireland came on for Westwood and made three good saves whilst Clinton Morrison replaced Eastwood in the 71st minute.

Aron Einar Gunnarsson was getting in some tough tackles and ended up with a bang in the face for his troubles.

Leon McKenzie also received a late elbow from a side only too keen to
dish out the rough stuff and when the final whistle went, there was pushing and shoving from both sets of players as City went down to a not

unexpected defeat.

The Sky Blues travel to Stade Nyonnais on Friday night